Prepping, Survival, and Common Sense
The Prepper Journal is a daily survival blog devoted to a wide variety of preparedness, survival, self-reliance, and personal defense topics for readers who want to protect themselves and their families from seen and unseen disasters in our future. I started the Prepper Journal back in January of 2013, with the goal of helping people become more prepared for life’s curve-balls.It is my belief that anyone can take steps to be more prepared for natural or man-made disasters regardless of their age or physical ability. With that in mind, I want to do anything I can to motivate people, share lessons I learned and continue to learn along the way, provide a platform for others to speak out about preparedness topics, and share their own personal experiences.
Since starting the Prepper Journal we have published over 1700 articles that have been viewed more than 14 million times. We have had visitors from over 180 countries and our site has been featured in mainstream news publications like the New York Times, Medium, Daily Mail Online the news.com.au.
Who the heck is Pat Henry of the Prepper Journal?
Pat Henry is a pen name chosen by me because I wish to keep my identity confidential as much as possible and still be on the internet. I am the editor of the Prepper Journal website and I began prepping back in 2007 before I had really even heard of the term Prepper or Prepping.Back then I think the going phrase for people learning the topics I was interested in was a survivalist and most of the information at the time was for living in the woods if you were stranded on some vacation from hell.
There was a healthy dose of fringe content geared toward more of a Militia audience as well and I think these two mindsets merged with practicality and formed what is now referred to as Prepping. Nat Geo probably helped push that term into the spotlight a little too…
I believe prepping has become more mainstream now because it is based upon common sense. For so many years we have watched scenes of disaster and destruction on our TV sets and have witnessed very ‘normal’ weather events that turned life upside down unnecessarily for those unprepared for the aftermath. Then COVID happened and most of our practical steps were seen as completely rational and even prescient.
The world has been waking up to the simple truth that bad things happen all the time and when they do, you are your own best bet for survival. You are the number one person you should depend upon for survival and you, more than any government agency in the world care more about your family’s safety and survival.
I have a background in the military where I proudly served in the Army both in the US and overseas. I did not see combat although that was my motivation for joining like most young men I think. I don’t own an underground bunker or a remote cabin in the woods guarded by clay-more mines. I have never served as a mercenary and haven’t spent time as a contract killer for the CIA. I am a father and husband to a beautiful family and I want to take care of them in any way I can. Hopefully, that comes through in my writings on The Prepper Journal.
If you ever want to reach me, please use the contact form on our site.
- Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/ThePrepperJournal/
- Gab – https://gab.com/groups/26054
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/prepperjournal/
- Pinterest – https://www.pinterest.com/prepperpathenry
Pat Henry in the Media:
Interviews of Pat Henry from the Prepper Journal
- 1/30/21 – Bunker Basics – Interview with Bunker Bob on his site.
- 10/24/16 – TradCatKnight – Podcast with Eric Gajewski on his YouTube Channel.
- 06/15/16 – Flash Forward – Podcast where the premise of the episode is Volcano survival. Interview with Rose Eveleth.
- 11/13/15 – Interview on the Drew Mariani Show – The interview starts about 30 minutes in.
- 09/22/15 – Do-It-Yourself Barricades For Neighborhood Defense – Podcast Interview on Modern Combat & Survival Magazine with Jeff Anderson
- 04/21/15 – Looter Defense Planning – Podcast Interview on Modern Combat & Survival Magazine with Jeff Anderson
- 01/17/15 – Interview with Big Mac on The Week In Conspiracy Podcast.
- 12/16/14 – Neighborhood Defense Planning – Podcast Interview on Modern Combat & Survival Magazine with Jeff Anderson
Articles with Pat Henry
- 9/17/15 – Top 3 Survivalist Blogs & Experts: Who To Follow & Their Response To 5 Most Popular Questions – Article on Surviving the Wild
- 9/16/15 – EXCLUSIVE: ‘The heavens will let loose and the powers of darkness will rage’ – why some believe Mormon woman end-of-the-world prophet ‘predicted Utah’s fatal flash floods’ – Article on the Daily Mail about Julie Rowe and her predictions by Ruth Styles
- 9/16/15 – What Will You Eat When the World Ends? – Article on Eater.com by Tove Danovich
- 8/26/15 – The Vacation Survival Guide: 38 Possible Travel Disasters (and How to Avoid Them) – Article on Travel & Leisure by Josh David Stein. I’m in the Apocalypse section (29)
- 11/03/14 – 10 Solid Prepping Tips from the Pros – Part 1 – Interview with other Prepper bloggers on Survival Academy
- 09/30/14 – For Mormons, ‘Prepping’ Is An Article Of Faith – Interview on WJCT.org
- 06/25/14 – Ask A Prepper – Interview on Survive Our Collapse
- 08/01/13 – Featured website of the Month – Interview with Todd Sepulveda from Prepper Website