If you are someone who enjoys hiking or camping, you already know the practical difficulties of lugging several heavy water bottles with you. More so, as it goes, a single water bottle will not suffice for your needs.
That said, there is nothing that compares to the soothing sound of a nearby stream or a sight of a glistening lake. It can be the perfect spot for you to take a break or even set up the camp. And it only seems natural to rely on the nearby water source.
However, as clean as the water might seem, there might be thousands of microbes hidden in the droplets. This is where water purification tablets are introduced. You will only need to add these tablets to the water and let them do their magic for 30 minutes or so. When done, the water will be consumable.
Who Needs Water Purification Tablets?
Water purification tablets are meant to be beneficial to anyone that does not have access to potable and clean water. This includes:
- victims of natural disasters;
- communities in developing countries;
- remote villages;
- defense forces.
As you can imagine, water purification tablets are best used when other modes of purification are not available. For instance, most purification techniques involve boiling, ultraviolet radiation, or filtration. However, using these purification tablets will not require you to have access to any special equipment, fuel, or power sources.
Read More – Survival Water Filters
That said, it is also recommended that you try to remove the sediment through filtration before using the tablets. This will ensure that you get the best quality of water that you can receive through the application of these purification tablets.
Best Water Purification Tablets
Now that we have gone through the basics, let us look at some of the best water purification tablets available in the market today.
Katadyn Micropur MP1
Katadyn MicroPur MP1 Chlorine Dioxide Tablets are known to be a convenient solution to clean water. You can use it both during your study and travel as well as for day hikes and camping.
The product is fast-acting and neutralizes bacteria and viruses in under 15 minutes. In 30 minutes, you will also be rid of parasites such as Giardia. However, if you want to combat cryptosporidium, you might have to wait until four hours.
- Crafted from the highest quality material ensuring quality and durability
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use
- Made in the U. S. A.
- The only tablet or liquid proven effective against viruses, bacteria, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium in all water conditions
- Works in 30 minutes in most water (four hours if the water is cold and dirty)
One tablet will suffice for one quart (about 950 ml) of water. The tablet has been developed in line with US Environmental Protection Agency guidelines, with its active ingredient being chlorine dioxide.
The packaging is quite efficient, with each tablet being individually wrapped and sealed. You can buy the product in boxes of 20 and 30 tablets.
The Aquatabs Mightie water purification tablets have the reputation of being effective across all shopping platforms. They are effervescent and do their job efficiently to kill microbes typically found in the water.
Each package comes with 200 tablets and has an expiry date of five years. Moreover, the Aquatabs Mightie tablets also enjoy an NSF 60 certification – a formula that has been approved for WHO for routine use.
- DRINKING WATER, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE - Aquatabs are the world's most popular tablet and the ultimate choice for portable water treatment tablets. Removes 99.9999% of Bacteria, 99.99% of Viruses, and 99.9% of Cysts (Giardia).
- FEEL SAFE OUT THERE - Aquatabs are an excellent solution for purifying water while backpacking, camping, hiking, traveling, or in emergency survival situations. Simply add one 49mg Aquatabs tablet into .75-2 liters of water and wait 30 minutes.
- BE BETTER PREPARED - These drinking water purification tablets are small and lightweight making them easy to store in a disaster kit or bugout bag. They are individually sealed in foil strips designed to ensure longevity.
- ENJOY GREAT TASTING WATER EVERY TIME - Aquatabs-treated water has no unpleasant taste, color, or odor unlike iodine-based products. Pair Aquatabs water purifying tablets with a water filtration system to treat water from sediment heavy sources.
- TAKE ON THE WILDERNESS - Backpackers and campers who drink untreated backcountry water are at a higher risk of ingesting parasites and bacteria. When hiking outdoors, it's best to come prepared. Trust in Aquatabs for all of your safe water needs! Expiration Date: March 2027
Once you add and dissolve one of them into the water, you will be able to get drinkable water within 30 minutes. You might be able to taste a bit of chlorine in the water, but users say that it is no more than what the typical city water tastes like.
It should be mentioned though that one tablet can treat only 750 ml of water at a time. Moreover, the packaging is not waterproof. So if you are not careful, the tablets might get damaged.
Additionally, it is worth noting that Aquatabs does not remove cryptosporidium – a protozoan found in North America.
Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide
Potable Aqua has a number of different products for water purification. Chlorine dioxide comes with 2.6 times the oxidizing capacity of chlorine.
The company claims that there is no aftertaste or odor of the water and that the tablets do not dramatically alter the visual qualities of the water. Additionally, one tablet can kill bacteria, parasites, and cryptosporidium.
- One bottle of 50 count Potable Aqua Water Purification Tablets
- Water treatment tablets, providing water purification for camping, hiking, traveling and emergency water preparedness situations
- Potable Aqua emergency water purification tablets for drinking water are effective against Giardia lamblia when used as directed
- Travel water purification tablets make questionable water bacteriologically suitable to drink, even in emergency water purification situations.
- Water treatment tablets offer emergency water purification for hiking, travel, and natural disasters, and ideal to keep with camping accessories
Potable Aqua claims that it is one of the water treatment tablets widely used by military and energy organizations across the world. However, it is important to note that it might not be best intended for continuous usage. The Potable Aqua tablets can treat up to 0,5 liter of water at a time. So it is best saved for emergency purposes.
Aquamira Water Purification Drops
Aquamira comes in the form of 1-ounce bottles that make it easy for you to purify gallons of water. The product has chlorine dioxide as the main ingredient and claims to fight pathogens such as cryptosporidium and Giardia, along with other bacteria and viruses.
- Kills odor causing bacteria and enhances the taste of stored potable water
- Treatment has a 4 year shelf life from manufacturing date
- Treats up to 30 gallons and easy to Use and No Aftertaste
- EPA Reg. No. 71766-1 and Made in the USA
The product comes in two bottles Part A and Part B. Part A has chlorine dioxide, and the second has phosphoric acid as the prime ingredient. When using, you will have to first mix seven drops of both Part A and Part B into a container and wait for five minutes. In that time, the solution will turn yellow. Then you can add these 14 drips into one liter of untreated water.
Within 15 minutes, you will be able to get drinkable water. If you are concerned about the quality, you can increase the number of drops and waiting time. You can leave the treatment for as long as four hours in the water.
In addition, Aquamira also claims that it gets rid of odor-causing bacteria – the result being a pure taste of water. The bottles come with a four-year shelf life and can purify a total of 30 gallons of water.
Polar Pure Iodine Water Purifier
If you want to look past chlorine dioxide, another powerful ingredient in water purification is iodine. Polar Pure uses iodine crystals to fast-track the process to kill bacteria, viruses, and other bacterial mutations.
One single bottle of Polar pure can treat up to 2000 gallons (7500 liters) of water.
That said, Polar Pure might require you to take a long time to process. This is because you will need to fill the Polar Pure bottle with water and let it sit for an hour. (Pro Tip – Fill it up before you leave the house) In the meanwhile, you can collect the water you want to purify and get the sediments settled as well.
No products found.
At this stage, you can add the water from the Polar Pure bottle into your water bottle. There will be clear instructions on how much you have to use depending on how much water you want to treat. You can let it sit for 30 minutes before it becomes potable. You will know when the product has stopped working – the iodine crystals should completely dissolve by that moment.
One good feature of Polar Pure is that you can use it multiple times. It comes with an indefinite shelf life. So, even if you do not have to use it frequently, this purchase won’t be a waste.
Expedition Research LLC TAC-H2O Water Purification Tablets
These Aquatabs are also widely used for water purification. Each tablet weighs nearly 50 grams and can treat up to 5 liters of water. In effect, a single pack can purify up to 500 liters of water.
The packaging is extremely efficient, with a Mylar pouch – which doubles up as a resealable zip lock. This makes it compact to carry around while being sunlight and waterproof.
You can use these tablets to get drinkable water within 30 minutes of use. However, you might be able to recognize a faint chlorine smell that might not be appealing to you.
How to Choose the Best Water Purification Tablets?
Although we have tried to account for all the important factors, consider that different people might have different reactions to the chemicals in water purification tablets.
As such, we suggest that you take a quick test at home before you take these tablets along with you on a trip, where you might not be able to get access to medical help if needed.
Also, be sure to do both taste and odor tests so that you have a clear idea of what to expect before you commit to one particular product.
You must also consider whether the water purification tablet is suited for your specific purpose and how easy it is to carry and store them.
All in all, the tablets listed here seem to deliver on their claims. They are easy to use and store, and they take a reasonable amount of time to purify water. The next time you go hiking, there is no reason why a water tablet cannot replace your water bottles. It will certainly make your journey a bit easier.
Amily Lagman is an avid nature enthusiast and enjoys hikes, walks, and quiet nights away from the city lights. She works alongside writing professionals at EssayWritingService that helps students to buy essay for their academic requirements. She also contributes to blogs and articles sharing her interests in nature.