Last Updated on December 13, 2013
The Basics of Wound Care and Practical Plastic Surgery for Non-surgeons are two resources I came across on the web today. There was a link from another site, but I closed my browser and don’t remember who initially directed me to this resource.
The Basics of Wound Care is a booklet that you can download that goes into pretty graphic detail about identifying and treating a wide variety of wounds. If pictures of really nasty wounds cause you to get sick, you better just download this one and let somebody else read it.
Another really great book is Practical Plastic Surgery for Non-surgeons and at first I thought to myself, who is going to be augmenting breasts (yes, that is covered in the book) after the SHTF? Which in retrospect could be a barter-able skill… I am kidding.
The book does go into a lot of great information for treating wounds and injuries and is broken into chapters. If you don’t get the entire book, you can just download the individual chapters that seem most appropriate to you. I would recommend, Suturing, Basic Surgery, Gunshot Wounds and Burns.
To download the entire Plastic Surgery for Non-Surgeons book, click here.
To download an individual chapter, click the corresponding link below.
- Chapter 1 – Suturing: The Basics
- Chapter 2 – Basic Surgical Techniques
- Chapter 3 – Local Anesthesia
- Chapter 4 – Protecting Yourself from Infectious Diseases
- Chapter 5 – Evaluation of the Acutely Injured Patient
- Chapter 6 – Evaluation of an Acute Wound
- Chapter 7 – Gunshot Wounds
- Chapter 8 – Nutrition
- Chapter 9 – Taking Care of Wounds
- Chapter 10 – Secondary Wound Closure
- Chapter 11 – Primary Wound Closure
- Chapter 12 – Skin Grafts
- Chapter 13 – Local Flaps
- Chapter 14 – Distant Flaps
- Chapter 15 – Scar Formation
- Chapter 16 – Facial Lacerations
- Chapter 17 – Pressure Sores
- Chapter 18 – Chronic Wounds
- Chapter 19 – Soft Tissue Infections
- Chapter 20 – Burns
- Chapter 21 – Fractures of the Tibia and Fibula
- Chapter 22 – Skin Cancer
- Chapter 23 – Cleft Lip/Palate
- Chapter 24 – Breast Surgery
- Chapter 25 – Facial Fractures
- Chapter 26 – The Normal Hand Exam
- Chapter 27 – Evaluating the Injured Hand
- Chapter 28 – Hand Splinting and General Aftercare
- Chapter 29 – Fingertip and Nail Bed Injuries
- Chapter 30 – Finger Fractures and Dislocations
- Chapter 31 – Traumatic Hand and Finger Amputations
- Chapter 32 – Tendon Injuries of the Hand
- Chapter 33 – Nerve and Vascular Injuries of the Hand
- Chapter 34 – Hand Burns
- Chapter 35 – Hand Crush Injury and Compartment Syndrome
- Chapter 36 – Hand Infections: General Information
- Chapter 37 – Specific Types of Hand Infections
- Chapter 38 – Chronic Hand Conditions
- Chapter 39 – Exploration of an Injured Hand or Forearm