Last Updated on March 3, 2021
Take a look at these 21 emergency blogs for details on how you can be better prepared for the next emergency your family encounters.
You never know when an emergency situation may arise; however, you can take certain steps to ensure that you are as prepared as possible for if and when one occurs. Start by preparing an emergency plan for a fire. You will need to determine at least two ways to get out of every room and pick a safe meeting spot that is away from the house.
Practicing your evacuation route with your family will help everyone remain calm in the event of an emergency. Stocking up on nonperishable foods and emergency supplies will help you ride out a storm if severe weather strikes.
Preparing an emergency preparedness kit and locating a safe place to ride out the storm are essential steps in getting your family ready for any severe weather – expected or unexpected.
In the event of a fire, you want to make sure that each family member knows exactly how to respond and what to do. How are you going to get out of the house and where are you going to meet up with the rest of the family? Is there somewhere you can go to use the telephone to call the fire department? Do the kids know what to do if a fire breaks out while you are not home? Make sure that everyone knows how to use the fire extinguisher and that you have enough of them in the house. Keep fresh batteries in your smoke detectors. You can read these tips and more in these seven blog entries.
- Tips for Creating an Emergency Fire Plan for Your Family – Find out what items you should keep at home and what you need to teach your family about fire safety.
- Formulating an Emergency Escape Plan – Create at least two escape routes out of your home in case of a fire and make sure that doors and windows can be opened by everyone.
- Five Ways to Prepare Your Children for a Fire Emergency – By teaching your kids what their address is and how to use a fire ladder you could save their life.
- Making a Family Emergency Plan – Draw a floor plan of your house, find ways to exit safely, decide on a meeting place and practice your plan.
- Fire, Fire! Getting Your Kids Involved in Your Home’s Fire Plan! – Educate yourself by reading through these myths and then make a fire plan for your family together.
- Do You Have a Home Emergency Plan – How to create a basic emergency plan with your family.
- Add Safety to Your Spring “To Do” List – Go over several different scenarios with your family regarding fires, falls and other emergencies.
Severe weather can mean anything from a tornado to a hurricane to flooding. Having a plan in place can make these types of disasters a little less scary. It’s important to have a safe place to go in your home when severe weather strikes. Check out these seven blogs for more tips on preparing an emergency plan for severe weather.
- How to Educate Your Children About Severe Weather – Learn how to create an emergency plan for storms with your children.
- Hurricane Sandy: A Reminder to Plan for Emergencies and Our Pets – Your pets are part of your family, so don’t forget them when you are creating your emergency plan.
- Macomb Offers Tips for Severe Weather Awareness Week – Make a plan and know where you should go in your home to wait out severe weather.
- Family Preparedness – Follow this checklist for getting your family prepared for a disaster.
- How to Create an Emergency Preparedness Plan Learn the basics on creating a plan for surviving at home for a few days.
- How to Create a Severe Weather Emergency Plan for Your Family – This blogger has the good idea of taking a video of all of your belongings and keeping it safe should something happen to your home.
- Final 2013 Severe Weather Preparedness Week Tips – Take a look at this thorough list of what to consider when preparing for severe weather.
Emergency Preparedness Kit
After you create an emergency plan, you should create an emergency preparedness kit. Make sure that you have food for at least three days, plenty of bottled water and a way to stay warm and safe. Flashlights and batteries are necessities in your emergency preparedness kit. To create your own kit, look at these seven blogs.
- Create an Emergency Preparedness Kit – Watch this video to learn what you should put in an emergency kit.
- Emergency Preparedness—Week 1 Storage – Learn the best way to store your rations and other stuff you will need for your kit.
- Emergency Preparedness: Make a Plan & Create a Long-Term Storage Kit – Here are ideas for several kits that you might need, like one for your car or office.
- Create an Emergency Preparedness Kit – This video details what items you should put in your kit for weather emergencies.
- Create a Home Emergency Preparedness Kit – Take a look at this list, as it is a complete list of things that you may need.
- Customizing Your Emergency Preparedness Kit – Study this blog article for smart tips on making sure you have the things you need in your kit.
- Emergency Preparedness Survival Kits – Tips for emergencies can be found in this post, as well as a list of things to include in your kit.
Author bio: Hannah Anderson is a freelance writer, she loves writing on various subjects.
This article was featured on the Survival Sherpa website at: http://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/ready-21-emergency-blogs-that-could-save-your-family/